Human Resource Development in NFTDC
NFTDC as an organisation has several unique features. Primarily it is a self-financing organization with no grants-in-aid from the government. All financial resources to run the organization and carry out R&D have to be met from contract R&D, sponsored research, job works as in design, testing & characterization, prototypes and technology fees. This calls for a high level of competence in the personnel, with a pulse for the rapidly shifting R&D needs and ability to respond very quickly to such changing needs. Multi-domain knowledge and fast learning with analytical and problem solving abilities become essential in HR to meet these demands.
- Basic Strength : 100% Executive Scientist and Engineer based
- Fixed Term 3/5/7/10 year Appointment (All benefits included like regular appointment unlike contract)
- Built in Career Development in Fixed Term Appointments
- Four Knowledge Levels for Career Growth
- Multi – Disciplinary HR profile
- Higher Studies leading to PhD encouraged as a policy
- Visiting Scientists, Part Time Scientists and Emeritus Scientists provide experience and add – on specialization capability and capacity to NFTDC
- Internships, research scholars form add – on HR capacity
- Integrated Office & Management (IO & MS):
- Executive Professionals manage office tasks as a small team of professionals for (i) HRD, (ii) Admin & Infrastructure, (iii) Fin & Accts; (iv) Materials Management;
- Executive in charge of HR will a Senior Scientist at the Level of Associate Director or Project Director;
- Materials Management will be handled by Engineers with additional proficiency in IT + Management
- Technical to Non Technical Ratio in HR Strength will be typically 90:10.
Historical Profile of HR
Since its inception NFTDC has been manned only with scientists and engineers. Initially during the period 1990-95, the entire HR has been in the form of deputation or project posting at NFTDC from the organisations that were associated with the setting up of NFTDC, namely, the nonferrous metals manufacturers NALCO, BALCO, HCL and HZL and DMRL Projects were funded by the four companies and it was prudent to draw the initial HR from them. Eventually (from 1995 onwards) NFTDC gained strength and was in a position to meet the entire salary bill and all expenditures. Project posting attachment gave way to deputation and fixed term tenure positions. The transition of the HR pattern over the years is plotted in Figure below:
At present the major strength at the Centre consists of fixed term tenure scientists/engineers/managers and research associates, augmented by visiting scientists, emeritus scientists and research scholars. The Centre fully realises that the country faces a tremendous shortage of quality engineers & scientists committed to a career in R&D. Plans have been put action since 1998 to recruit graduate engineer as trainees from leading institutes and also an elaborate HR development for R & D via project Associateship and internship have been put in to place. There is routine scheme for the recruitment of young talent with BTech, MTech/MS/M Des qualification in different fields as research associates and senior research associates for advanced training in R & D. Some of these associates graduate into tenured positions at the Centre, while lateral entry into the fixed term tenured positions by persons with higher qualifications and experience is done via campus recruitments from IITs and NITs as well as via advertisements and continuous search and all year round receiving of applications. Search, Select and Induct policy as per project and specialization needs is the cornerstone of induction.